[nmglug] X - no screens found

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Fri Dec 12 11:15:57 PST 2003

Jason Schaefer wrote:
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier  "Videocard0"
>        Driver      "i810"
>        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>        BoardName   "Intel 845"
>        VideoRam    16384
> EndSection

I had this exact same problem. After lots of reasearch, I found that I needed to
install XFree86 4.3 because previous versions would not work with my motherboard
and the i810 video driver.

Using the vesa driver would work but only at low resolutions.

Apt-get did not work to find XFree86 4.3 because it has not been officially
added to debian yet. But you can find the .deb files at
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xfree86/
Download what you need to the /var/cache/apt/archives directory then apt-get
will find and install them.

One other problem that I had; once I got the xserver going, the mouse would jump
all over the place and do weird stuff. Stopping gpm with
#/etc/init.d/gpm stop
fixed that problem.

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. Electrical Engineers.
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1300 Luisa St Ste 23
Santa Fe NM 87505
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com