[nmglug] nice meeting y'all

Kevin Karns kkarns at linuxmail.org
Fri Nov 21 10:22:51 PST 2003

Mark,

Nice meeting you also!

you wrote:

> The first thing to do is to show
> that we can have a community of people who (by
> default) send GnuPG-encrypted email to anyone
> who appears in their keyring.  Next time we
> can all start up our favorite mail programs
> and set it up for everyone.  I'll put up some
> links on that before the meeting.

OK ... but I'll have to break my web-mail addiction :)

> I would also love to give software use and software
> development tutorials.  If anyone knows people who
> want to learn about a topic, bring them along and
> we can do something.  And even better: if someone
> wants software development mentoring, I have many
> projects for which I would *love* collaborators.

I share the same vision of teaching programming to other
programmers enslaved on non-GNU platforms, but my goal
is to reach those at the 4GL and database level ...
this would be COBOL and VB programmers.

I think I can reach up to 400 of my colleages at most,
(IT employees in state goverment mostly here in Santa Fe),
but I need a compelling environment to show them first.
I think eclipse might just be that development tool.
I saw a really intriguing demo on Wednesday night.  IBM
spent $40 million developing the tool and forked it,
putting eclipse under GNU and Webspere under commercial
license.

Kevin K.