[nmglug] startx not runnig please a little help

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Fri Apr 9 15:33:14 PDT 2004

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Going to have to see /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to know what's causing this.
Do you know what video chipset/card is in this box?

(II) LoadModule: "nv"

It looks like XF86Config-4 thinks it's an nvidia card.
If it's not then we need to change that.

(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA128, RIVATNT, RIVATNT2,
> 	RIVATNT2 (A), RIVATNT2 (B), RIVATNT2 (Ultra), RIVATNT2 (Vanta),
> 	RIVATNT2 M64, RIVATNT2 (Integrated), GeForce 256, GeForce DDR,
> 	Quadro, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 GTS (rev 1), GeForce2 ultra,
> 	Quadro 2 Pro, GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 MX DDR, Quadro 2 MXR,
> 	GeForce 2 Go, GeForce3, GeForce3 (rev 1), GeForce3 (rev 2),
> 	GeForce3 (rev 3)
Also the nv driver that ships with Woody is too old to work with newer
(like anything GF4 class)
nvidia chipsets. In which case we have to fall back to the vesa driver
(replace Driver "nv" in XF86Config with Driver "vesa")

Oh Look I just spotted: (--) Chipset GeForce 2 Go found
I've not used one of those, but I would have thought it would work.
Can you verify that that is the video chipset?

And then that brings us back right where we were. You need to show us XF86Config.

BTW, the trick with stealing the Knoppix XF86Config will probably work.
You can even just use the Knoppix-generated config (although it's bulky and ugly).
I've done this several times.

regards.