[nmglug] Argghhh!!! I hosed my MBR

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 22:57:43 PST 2004

Thanks to everybody for their suggestion and especially to Gary.  I followed
his instructions and got it all back!

I would like to point out how valuable it is to have a resource/document that
concisely steps users how to fix/repair/install programs and systems.  I find
that everytime I get disappointed in how difficult it is to maintain or fix a
linux system for those with a microsoft mindset (like me) I end up running
across a "dummies" approach document that gets me excited again about
learning this os.

Gary, I wanted to point out what I think might be a typo.  Your instruction
to chroot /mnt gave an error.  using chroot /mnt/target worked great.

For future reference, here are the steps I used.

Obtained the SUSE boot/rescue CD and booted up per the instructions.

mkdir /mnt/target           # Create my root mountpoint
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/target # My root partition is on hda3
chroot /mnt/target          # chroot
mount -a                    # don't know if this was necessary but ???
mount /dev/hda1 /boot       # /boot didn't mount.  Had to do it separately
mount -t proc proc /proc
lilo

my partition layout was pretty simple.
/dev/hda1 ext3 /boot