[nmglug] Time and cron jobs

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Wed Dec 8 00:02:03 PST 2004

Gary Sandine wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 01:05 +0000, Mars DeLapp wrote:
>
>>jmdelapp at comp010:~$ date
>>Wed Dec  8 00:34:27 UTC 2004
>>jmdelapp at comp010:~$ date -u
>>Wed Dec  8 00:34:31 UTC 2004
>>
>>the file /etc/timezone contains:
>>America/Denver
>>
>>But the date command (without -u) still shows UTC instead of MST
>>
>>Anyone know how to fix this?
>

> Maybe there is no /etc/timezone symlink in that computer?
>
> There is a program to do this (I don't know what it is called):
>
> # ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Denver /etc/localtime
>
> date will then show MST times.

Thanks, that seems to have fixed the problem.

So why is it called a "/etc/timezone" symlink when the symlink is /etc/localtime?

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering.
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1300 Luisa St Ste 23
Santa Fe NM 87505
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com