[nmglug] A couple of remote computing questions

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 22:54:19 PST 2004

I am running sshd on my home pc.  I have a couple of questions regarding
remote computing and backgrounding tasks.

1. During an SSH session I use apt-get to upgrade my debian distribution.  If
I am disconnected during the middle of it I tend to get some errors.

2. If I use apt-get dist-upgrade &, will the process end if the SSH session
ends or will it continue to run until finish?

3. What is the difference between using one ampersand to background a task
and two ampersands?

4. Am I using the wrong terminology when saying --backgrounding--.  Is this
commonly referred to as --forking a process-- ??

Thanks!