[nmglug] Add User / KDE problems

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 11:25:18 PST 2004

I am using debian/testing and kde latest version.  I can not get any sound
when logged in as a regular user but I can when I log in as root.

I created a third user this morning with kuser and I have a couple of
problems I don't know how to handle.

1. New user does not appear on the menu of users in kdm but I can login if I
type the username and password into kdm.

2. user is not getting any sound.

3. user is getting some errors during login.  dcopserver throws out an error
and karts (or kdearts) is having problems starting  karts::director.

Hopefully this will make sense to someone out there.  Let me know if you need
more specific information.

It seems that if I want to do anything with sound I have to log in to kde as
root which I know is pretty much a no-no.

Tim