[nmglug] Comcast... saturated upload kills connection

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Sun Jun 6 10:48:18 PDT 2004

I have been looking into this problem for some time now and have tested
it using about 5 different modems+connections+configurations. When you
upload  some place with higher download than you, 75-99% of packets are
lost to or from any other connections. Same thing happens, of course,
when someone downloads from you with a higher speed than your upload. I
have used ftp, ssh and http to transfer files. Im using ping from a
third host to verify the packet loss. Example: If a friend is
downloading files from my computer I have to kill their transfer to get
back on irc, check mail etc. If I am away I have to wait, for however
long, to ssh in. Its that bad and its not just me.

Comcast has sent people out 3 times. They test signal strength and the
modem and make a bunch of calls and tells me its my internal networks
fault. In other words they are not responsible for anything but the
modem... so naturally.  No one has a clue:-( They put me in contact with
the manager and he had to clue what I was even saying, so he asked if I
would write up some details. I haven't heard back. I think it must be an
inherent problem, being a shared network. They insist this is not the
case and they have NEVER seen it before. Has anyone else seen this
problem? If you have cable give it a try and let me and, more
importantly, comcast know what you find.

Jason