[nmglug] Linux Router/Firewall

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 09:27:24 PDT 2004

I have a small Dlink Router for my home cable connection that is on it's last
leg.  It loses connection, runs REAL hot and seems to crap out if there's any
kind of traffic running on it.

I was going to buy another dlink/linksys type router when I remembered I have
3 old Pentium 166 boxes sitting in my garage that might be perfect as a
router/firewall.

So, can anybody suggest a package or set of packages that a novice could
install as a router/firewall.  I would really like something that works just
like the small linksys type routers.  Web based management, ability to manage
from the WAN/Internet side.  DHCP client/server.

Suggestions and/or links would be appreciated.

I would like to use Debian but any distribution would do.  I plan on not
installing X and it being headless (once the initial install is in place)

My machine is a P-166.  HD space isn't a problem.  64M ram.  2 3com 3c905
nics.

To paraphrase "you know who"....

Where do I want to go today....with my linux router.  LOL

TIA

Tim Emerick