[nmglug] Debian: Starting from scratch....sorta

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 13:25:50 PDT 2004

Some time ago I had voiced my intent to remove X and KDE from my debian
system and reinstall from scratch...sorta.  I discovered aptitude and used it
to find all installed packages that had X and KDE or K* and removed them.

I then used apt-get to install x-window-system but I couldn't get it to fire
up.  I removed it again using aptitude and removed all .X* files in my home
directory and in /etc.  Also removed anything that seemed X or KDE related.

Still no luck getting X to reconfigure.

Can anybody offer any help on how to get x-window-system and kde to install
using apt-get, prompting me for config options, the way it did when I
installed it the very first time?

Much thanks in advance.

Tim