[nmglug] evil e-voting ...

Kevin Karns kkarns at linuxmail.org
Sat May 15 12:49:50 PDT 2004

Hello nmglug!

I was minding my own business today at the post office when i read the cover story on computerworld which reminded me of something
that Jason suggested at the last nmglug meeting, moreover, writing a position paper on e-voting systems.

The cover story was basically how a ?closed-source? e-voting megabucks-software company is lobbying congress on their e-voting software for the upcoming presidential elections.

Here's the links from their web version:

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,92973,00.html

http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/policy/story/0,10801,92950,00.html?from=story_picks

This is disturbing stuff, the arrogance of these vendors, so i'll be writing my congressman again.

A free open source GNU java project for e-voting was approached a couple years ago, called GNU-FREE, and found that any such e-voting system that is secure, confidential, and auditable would likely be impossible.  This project even had the blessing of RMS originally.  Here's a link:

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/articles/issue26/lud26-Freestyle-A_free_software_odyssey.pdf

Jason sent me this link also ...

http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Election_Assistance_Commission

Just wanted to send more fodder for our potential position paper.

I've got more ideas on what I think will make a secure system as I have a database at work which uses MD5 checksum auditing to prevent dba's like myself from tampering with the data.