[nmglug] santa fe linux?

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 09:54:55 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 10:31 -0700, Josh Gentry wrote:
> New Mexico Software is located in Albuquerque.  As a matter of fact,
> they are directly over my head in this building.  I haven't checked out
> their Linux distro, however.

I very briefly checked out the Community Review 4 or some-such last
week.
It's a knoppix-style live disc. But the manual had installation
instructions. I didn't quite figure out if it can be hd-installed in
it's current form or if that was a glimpse of the future plans

Seems pretty OK considering they intend to sell it. I was quite grumpy
that the live-CD had only a US keymap, so I didn't really mess with
anything that I couldn't 'click' to.

They suit my biases by using Debian and Gnome. But I don't really see
what they have to distinguish themselves from say Ubuntu or Userlinux.
(aside from the intention to start charging money ;)

However I can imagine maybe something coming of us talking to them. It
would be pretty 'cute' for nmglug to give away 'santafelinux'

/me resists temptation to :rolleyes: himself

I did notice that the big pdf Manual they put on the desktop gives
significantly more credit to the GNU project then I had suspected, so
that's good news.