[nmglug] ups and usb

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Tue Oct 26 11:30:30 PDT 2004

Andres Paglayan wrote:

> Hey,
> I know I am being a little chatty these days,
> question,
> I have to buy a ups for a linux box, the only serial I have there needs
> to be used for the external fax,
> what should I do,
> 1) buy a pci card with more serials,
> 2) get a ups that works thru usb (if it does exist with linux support),
> do you know any?
> any ideas?

You should buy a Belkin Universal series UPS:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=42-101-207&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=42-101-218&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=42-101-219&depa=0

Then install Nut
http://us1.networkupstools.org/
and KNutClient

and when you figure out how to get it set up and working, tell me so I can get my new Belkin Universal series UPS
working with my Gnu/Linux box.

But seriously, check out network UPS Tools
http://us1.networkupstools.org/

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1300 Luisa St Ste 23
Santa Fe NM 87505
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com