[nmglug] [SlashZot] Ubuntu For PPC, And As A Live CD

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Wed Oct 27 12:15:19 PDT 2004

I installed ubuntu on a friend's old slim VAIO laptop, and I was
*very* pleased with ubuntu's solidity in installing.

It helped me get around the interesting problem that that old VAIO,
although it is a delightful machine, (a) has only one pcmcia slot
which is needed for both ethernet and CDROM, and (b) does not boot off
USB devices.  I wanted to do a debian install, but then part way
through I wanted to umount and take out the CD card, plug in the
network card, get the network recognized so that the
late-install-phase would use it, and then reconnect the CD to finish
up.

I did that with ubuntu's latest and it worked nicely.  It also did a
good job on hardware recognition and setup.  It also works well in
qemu, so I run a version for experimenting on my main machine using
qemu.