[nmglug] Hard Drive Showing Errors

WA7BSZ wa7bsz at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 19:58:56 PDT 2004

> end_request: i/o error, dev hda1 sector 12868983
> EXT3-fs error (dev hda1) transaction_journal has aborted
>
> I couldn't re-log in any terminal and had to power off,
> now everything seems up and running,
>

> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:29:38 -0600
> From: Andres Paglayan <andres at paglayan.com>
> Subject: Re: [nmglug] how bad is this,
> 	<nmglug at nmglug.org>
>
> fsck shows a big warning saying that running it in a mounted drive
> can
> cause SEVERE damage,
> should I run it anyway?

Well, do you think this drive has this trouble as a result of getting
too hot, or being shut off during a disk write, mechanical shock, or
something else you remember?  It might even be a software problem.

It probably is not a good idea to just run it anyway.

Do you have another drive to which  you can copy anything you want to
save before you work on it much?  If operating system sectors are gone,
you don't know what it might do when it starts executing data.

I ran a little search on this error, and didn't find it exactly, but
this is interesting:

"3. Filesystem Errors In 2.6.0-test2
4 Aug 2003 - 10 Aug 2003 (11 posts) Subject: "ext3 badness in
2.6.0-test2"
Topics: Disk Arrays: RAID, FS: ext2, FS: ext3
People: Andrew Morton, Neil Brown, Frank van de Pol, Daniel Jacobowitz,
Linus Torvalds

Daniel Jacobowitz got an ext3 error of the form, "EXT3-fs error (device
md0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted". Unfortunately, after
this, the disk was completely inaccessible for reading or writing, so
any system logs that might have helped were unavailable. Andrew Morton
said that without the log data, it was hard to tell for certain. But he
said, "Could have been an IO error, or the block/MD/device layer
returned incorrect data. ext3 used to go BUG a lot in the latter case,
but nowadays we try to abort the journal and go read-only." Neil Brown
also saw the same problem, and figured it was probably with ext3. Frank
van de Pol also confirmed seeing the same problem; Neil managed to get
some log entries and posted them, and Andrew said there was definitely
an ext3 bug in there somewhere. But he also added, "I find it
distinctly fishy how this happens so much with ext3-on-md, and so
little with ext3-on-just-a-disk." "

Are you using a 2.6 early kernel?

Kim