[nmglug] dude, wheres my password?

Karl Hegbloom karlheg at laclinux.com
Wed Apr 13 09:48:01 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 10:09 -0600, Sam Noble wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 18:20 -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> > mount -o remount,ro /
> >  reboot
> >
> > ... and let it boot normally.  You will now have a new root password.
>
> Karl, does this part actually work for you? Whenever I've done this I've
> never been able to get the machine to shut down cleanly due to initctl
> stuff. I'm pretty sure I've tried the readonly-remount thing too.

It might not be able to run all of the shutdown scripts but that doesn't
really matter since nothing has been started anyhow.  The shell you are
in at this stage is PID 1 and there are no other user-space processes.
It should reboot ultimately, and restart just fine.  Ignore the error
messages from the shutdown scripts.