[nmglug] dude, wheres my password?

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 15:31:47 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:33 -0600, Ed Brown wrote:
> this DOES work for Fedora and RedHat Enterprise
> linuxes, including current versions (FC3, RHEL4)

Interesting, I thought I'd seen the opposite, but now that you mention
it, I don't remember the specific occasions. I'll keep it in mind cause
you're right it's way easier to drop in a '1' (the numeral this time
Joe ;) than having to mess with replacing init.

And since we're beating a dead horse here, I'll mention that when doing
stuff like this the other way, (from a boot disk rather than boot-loader
hijinks) That I recommend using Fedora/Redhat rescue environment over
something like knoppix. You can download the ~50MB rescue iso or type
'linux rescue' at the boot prompt of the first install disk. The
advantage being that red hat has some nice scripts that set you up to
chroot whether you're familiar with your partition layout or not. So you
don't have to fdisk -l anything or mount anything. You just hit enter a
few times and then it's ready for (and pops a message explaining)

$ chroot /mnt/sysimage

And you're all set for running 'passwd' or whatever. It also mounts up
(a somewhat phony) /proc and depending on the version stuff
like /dev/pts /sys and on the fc3 one it uses udev and mounts up /dev.
So you can do 31337 stuff like install grub :)

--
GPG key F343E5FC (fingerprint:DF37 93BC AFEC 0A6A CC08  4A95 3790 8B4C
F343 E5FC)