[nmglug] Linux Thin Client .vs. Citrix ICA

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 10:30:39 PST 2005

Hey folks.  I'm looking at buying a turnkey thinclient system with about 60
workstations and a fitting server.  Here are the capabilities I'm looking
for:

Clients --
- Browse only a pre-defined set of websites.
- Need to have the usual plug-ins (flash,java,javascript,pdf,etc)
- Some sites MIGHT require Active-X controls
- VT100 Terminal emulator with keyboard re-map capability
- Centrally controlled and managed (with ability for remote server
management)
- Print to a network printer
- 17" Flat Screen Monitor
- Standard Wheelmouse/keyboard
- No sound

That's it gang.

I've got a company working on a solution using Neoware Thin Clients and a
Microsoft Citrix Metaframe Server.  This company thinks that we will have to
use Microsoft because of the Active-X.  I'm not 100% sure that we will be
needing the Active-X plugin.

I thought I would throw it out to the Linux bunch and see if there was
anybody out there that might be interested in bidding for the business with a
Linux solution instead.

I welcome any calls or emails.

=====
Tim Emerick