[nmglug] Linux Distributions

wdn at lanl.gov wdn at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 19 10:18:00 PST 2005

I have been a Red Hat user for several years but lately have been
interested in considering the use of another Linux distribution.  Right
now, I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0.  Here is what I am looking
for:

1.  A distribution that provides a really large number of prebuilt
    packages so that there is a good probability of my finding anything
    I might want already prebuilt in the distribution.

2.  A decent installation procedure.

3.  Good package management and installation.

4.  Staying close to the cutting edge on the software packages.

I've been trying to do some research on my own - looking at Mandrake
and Debian.  I'm also interested in Fedora but have not been able to
find much information on it yet.

I'm wondering what advice people on this list might provide given the
above criteria for choosing a distribution.

BTW, I will be running the Linux distro that I choose on a laptop.

--
Dave Nystrom
LANL X-2
Email: wdn at lanl.gov