[nmglug] PDA

Will Pearson wpearson at mail.sfps.k12.nm.us
Thu Jan 20 10:57:56 PST 2005

I have experience with the Sharp SL-5500 and the SL-5600. I own the
SL-5500 and my dad owns the SL-5600. The SL-5600 has more processing
power and more storage in addition to much better battery life. The
SL-6000 is basically an SL-5600 but in a better case and a better
screen. It's a big PDA but it's also got built in WiFi and built in
Bluetooth (depending on the SL-6000 version you get). The SL-6000's
battery life clocks in at a whopping 10 hours, but your mileage may vary
depending on what your doing. Don't let the competitors tell you that
there isn't any software available for the Zaurus. There is a software
repository for the Zaurus at http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/ and if you
check out http://www.myzaurus.com there is an index of commercial
software and accessories you can buy that is rather nice. Don't forget
that The Kompany (http://www.thekompany.com) supports the Zaurus with
commercial software most of which is really cool.

My Zaurus's battery died after two years of use. I'm going to be getting
a new one soon. The cool thing about the Zaurus which annoys me about
Palm PDA's is that unlike most Palm PDA's where the battery is built in
and is unremovable the battery on the Zaurus can be removed in just a
few seconds. I already checked, 'Battery's Plus' on St Mikes can order
the battery in less than a week, as they don't carry them in stock.

Most compact flash adapters work in the Zaurus with zero or little
configuration. I bought a WiFi card off the shelf at Best Buy and was
wardriving with it in less than 5 minutes from purchase. Also, the
secure digital slot supports nearly all SD and MMC flash memory.

Hope I helped.

--
+---------------------------+------------------------------------------+
|William Pearson            |       "My computer crashes too!"         |
|Cell# 505-490-3805         +------------------------------------------+
|Technology Resource Center |  "The tree of liberty must be refreshed  |
|Santa Fe Public Schools    |    from time to time with the blood of   |
|                           |  Patriots & Tyrants" --Thomas Jefferson  |
|"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin       |
|"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World |
|War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." --Albert Einstein      |
|"The purpose of war is to decide who has justice on his side, the     |
|looser is the guilty one" --Lucan                                     |