[nmglug] Linux Distributions

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 15:40:11 PST 2005

> > The sad thing (see a thread from a while ago) is that if you just go
> > to http://www.debian.org/ you find the stupid 14-CD (or 15-CD?) image
> > set unless you hunt really hard for the netinst CD image.

I disagree with that statement.....sorta

The main page does state what the latest version is and provides a link to
the available versions.  But on the sidebar there is a clear link to "Getting
Debian" which was pretty clear.  I did have some difficulty finding the
netinst image by looking for that exact term, but by reading the directions
for installing from the internet I was able to discern how one would install
the "minimal install set" from CD and install the rest from the internet.

I think that the website has gone the extra step to try and make this helpful
for the novice or first time user.  That approach sometimes seems to annoy
the heck out of us that already knows what we want and just want a quick and
dirty path to it.  For those (including myself) the Site Map is probably the
way to go.

Tim