[nmglug] Linux Distributions

Josh Gentry jgentry at swcp.com
Tue Jan 25 10:13:28 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:18:00AM -0700, wdn at lanl.gov wrote:
> I have been a Red Hat user for several years but lately have been
> interested in considering the use of another Linux distribution.  Right
> now, I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0.  Here is what I am looking
> for:

Just going to chime in one more vote for Debian.  I switched to it because
of its package management a few years ago and have enjoyed pretty much
everything about it.  I  run "unstable" and I haven't had problems finding
what I want, but I don't live on the bleeding edge.  I know a few folks
who haven't found a package for the very newest Plone or whatever.  Fedora
Core _might_ be a little better for that single aspect.  Then again, I
haven't checked out the "experimental" Debian repository.  I'd be
interested to hear more from Aaron about what he's had trouble finding.

Installing Debian unstable on laptops have been some of the easiest
installs I've had, but milage varies.

Josh

--
Josh Gentry