[nmglug] cybermesa dsl

bg gonzales at thuntek.net
Fri Jul 1 12:04:42 PDT 2005

Doh! This is just great! I have a 678 that didn't seem to be compatible
with thuntek's DMT protocol (it worked fine with CAP), so I was kinda
forced to go with the Actiontek about 6 months ago.

The Actiontek recently displayed a red power LED so Qwest customer
support stepped me through their canned help scripts. The first 2 didn't
work, so I was transferred to their "smart guy". This is what he told me
to do: Unplug all cables. Then repeately unplug and immediately plug in
the power cord *12* times. Thinking I was on candid camera, lente loco
or punk'd, I looked around for a hidden camera. Needless to say, it
didn't work, so with a deposit, they overnighted a new modem that
actually arrived in 2 days.

I hate Qw*st as much as the next guy, but they've really improved
customer support over the past 2 years or so (Qwest wouldn't have have
given a rat's ass before). Ya gotta love how competition (comcast
broadband & cell phones) does to do to fix customer support.

I'll tell you what sucks though: The old modem broke with 2 months
remaining on the warranty. I asked if the new modem would be guaranteed
for the standard year, and they said it would only be good for the term
of the *original* modem. Does that sound right? Oh well, "the new" Qwest
isn't so great after all.