[nmglug] gnome-terminal short cut with MetaCity

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Fri Jun 3 09:21:28 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 16:23 -0600, Jason Davis wrote:
> Hello,
>  Now that j.s. showed me brightside I have switched to MetaCity as my
> window manager. However , the only way i see to start a gnome-term
> via a keyboard shortcut is to have the run dialog come up. But this is
> annoying as I typed dmesg into the run dialog once , now i have to hit
> up twice on the run dialog to get to the gnome-term command because it
> saved the dmesg command. Anyone know of a better way to bind gnome-term
> to a keyboard shortcut?

gconftool-2 -t string -s /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_terminal "<Alt>F3"
(or whatever key you like)

Or in the pretty gui gconf-editor you navigate to Apps -> metacity ->
global_keybindings and set the string value there.

In slightly older gnome there is no run_command_terminal so you have to
go to keybinding commands and choose one of the free slots and set it to
run gnome-terminal then set your keybinding for that in
global_keybindings.

gconftool-2 -t string -s /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_3 "x-terminal-emulator"

and:

gconftool-2 -t string -s /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/command_3 "<Alt>F3"