[nmglug] Using Media Bay Devices In Dell 600m With Fedora Core 3

William D. Nystrom wdn at lanl.gov
Sun Jun 5 16:32:54 PDT 2005

I have a Dell 600m that I have installed Fedora Core 3 on the primary hard
drive.  The laptop has a media bay where I can swap in and out a CDRW/DVD
combo drive, a second battery or a second hard drive.  I've just installed
FC 3 and so am trying to complete getting things set up.  I have another
laptop with linux on it, including all of my files which I want to move
over to this Dell 600m.  So, I got the idea of pulling the hard drive out of
it and putting it in the media bay hard drive caddy for the 600m so that I
could boot up and mount it and just copy files over.  However, I have not
been able to get this to work.  I've made sure that the BIOS is set up so
that I am not trying to boot from this media bay hard drive.  Am I missing
something?  Is this more complex than I was imagining?  Additionally, once
I was booted up with the CDRW/DVD installed and decided to see if I could
remove it.  When I did, the system froze.  So, I'm wondering if linux will
allow me to hot swap devices in the media bay and if so, what is involved
to make that work.

Thanks for any advice,

--
Dave Nystrom