[nmglug] Using Media Bay Devices In Dell 600m With Fedora Core 3

William D. Nystrom wdn at lanl.gov
Mon Jun 6 16:11:11 PDT 2005

On Mon, June 6, 2005 5:00 pm, Gary Sandine said:
> Hi.
>
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 05:32:54PM -0600, William D. Nystrom wrote:
>> So, I got the idea of pulling the hard drive out of
>> it and putting it in the media bay hard drive caddy for the 600m so that
>> could boot up and mount it and just copy files over.  However, I have
>> not
>> been able to get this to work.  I've made sure that the BIOS is set up
>> so
>> that I am not trying to boot from this media bay hard drive.  Am I
>> missing
>> something?
>
> Can you elaborate on "not been able to get this to work"?

When I try to boot up with the media bay hard drive installed, the boot
process appears to hang.  I've let it hang for a few minutes but not for
a really long time so if there was a really long timeout, then I have not
seen that.

> What have you tried?  Any error messages?

Only thing I have tried is booting with the media bay hard drive installed
and trying to research the problem.

> Does the system boot at all with the media bay hard drive
> installed?  If so, what does

No.  The system will boot with the media bay empty, filled with the
CDRW/DVD combo drive or filled with the extra media bay battery.  It will
not complete the boot process with the media bay hard drive installed.

Something which I read in a book talked about possibly having to do
something to a harddrive to make it a slave drive if it was going to be
a second data drive.  I don't know if that applies to my situation.

> $ ls /proc/ide/
>
> report?
>
> --
> Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>