[nmglug] Define 'forever'

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 09:06:23 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 07:55 -0600, Mark Galassi wrote:
>     Sam> Circumstances arranged themselves such that today I needed to
>     Sam> diff a Multi-Gigabyte tarball on a DVD to a copy of it on an
>     Sam> NFS share.  Before I started it going I said to myself, "This
>     Sam> is going to take forever."
>
> Hmm: did you use diff or cmp?  cmp might be faster on binaries, but
> all it does is tell you at which byte they first differ.
>
> Running "sum" on each can also tell you if they differ.

Yeah, I realized I was being dumb and md5summed them seperately,
(sometime after 3.1 released) and even later I realized something like
cksum would have been faster. I was unaware of 'sum' but I'll keep it in
mind for next time.
--
GPG key F343E5FC (fingerprint:DF37 93BC AFEC 0A6A CC08  4A95 3790 8B4C
F343 E5FC)