[nmglug] Using Media Bay Devices In Dell 600m With Fedora Core 3

William D. Nystrom wdn at lanl.gov
Tue Jun 7 12:46:27 PDT 2005

On Tue, June 7, 2005 1:28 pm, Sam Noble said:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 13:04 -0600, William D. Nystrom wrote:
>> This second hard drive is from another
>> laptop and has a bunch of files on it that I want to move to the
>> primary
>> hard drive in my 600m.  It is a bootable hard drive that has RHEL 3.0
>> installed on it
>
> Sounds like the problem is that you've got two drives both using e2label
> and your fstab and probably your grub config are trying to use those
> labels rather than actual device names.

Thanks for the info.  It seems to me that /etc/fstab is actually getting
written when I reboot with a different configuration.

> One solution would be to edit grub.conf and fstab and change all uses of
> Label=/ Label=/var etc. to the actual device name of the partition on
> hda.
>
> ie grub.conf should say stuff like:
>
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro vga=791
> Not:
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=Label=/ ro vga=791
>
> and in fstab you should have stuff like:
>
> /dev/hda6     /usr      ext3    defaults,error...
> Not:
> Label=/usr    /usr      ext3     defaults,err...
>
> See?

This seems like a simple thing to try.  Is this a good thing in general to
do or should I save the original copy of grub.conf and restore it after
I am done with this exercise?

Thanks,

--
Dave Nystrom