[nmglug] Dell 600m and FC3

Karl Hegbloom karlheg at laclinux.com
Tue Jun 7 21:21:52 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 15:16 -0700, WA7BSZ wrote:
> My experience so far with Fedora of any number, used on a laptop, is great
> frustration.  Now I save myself this frustration by not giving in to the
> temptation to try Fedora on a laptop (after all, its free).  I would rather
> waste my time on something more fun.  Red Hat is interested in the profitable
> Enterprise stuff, and apparently laptops are not in that arena.
>
> The first distro that ran everything on my old Dell laptop was Knoppix.  Then I
> got Suse 9.0 to run everything too.  But never Fedora.  How about Ubuntu?
> Others are having a lot of success with their laptops and Ubuntu.

I've heard at least two times, from fellow students here at Portland
State University, that Ubuntu works better than the other distros on
their laptops.  One man said that he tried Fedora and Suse, and neither
one of them worked right.  He then tried Ubuntu at my recommendation,
and loves it.  It supports all of the hardware, including the Wifi,
using that thing that lets you load the windows network card driver into
Linux.

> Someone else in this group probably knows what command to issue to make it
> possible to remove the CD bay, or whatever is in the bay.  I would like to see
> what it is myself.

I have some experiments planned involving the 'fake ide hotplug' driver
and software suspend...  I think that if I boot with the CD, then use
the fake IDE hotplug to logically unplug it, hibernate, remove the
drive, wake it back up... It might be doable.  I have not spent time on
that yet.

--
Karl Hegbloom <karlheg at laclinux.com>
Los Alamos Computers, Technical Support