[nmglug] Mailman

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Thu Jun 9 09:08:14 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 07:57 -0600, a_kaluta wrote:
> Any thoughts on opening  the exacutable files in "Mailman"

I don't understand what you're asking, are you trying to 'look at' the
program's files or to 'run/execute' them?

A neat tool is the program 'file' which will tell you what kind of file
you're dealing with. Maybe that's a good place to start?
e.g.:

$ file  /var/www/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py
/var/www/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py: ASCII English text

So that one's a text file, I can look at it with 'less' or my favorite
text viewer/editor.
And if I do that I find code written in python (the author gave us a
nice hint by naming it whatever.py)

 $ file  /var/www/mailman/Mailman/MailList.pyc
/var/www/mailman/Mailman/MailList.pyc: python 2.3 byte-compiled

This one is a compiled binary, so looking at it with a text viewer will
be mostly meaningless.

Does this help?

--
GPG key F343E5FC (fingerprint:DF37 93BC AFEC 0A6A CC08  4A95 3790 8B4C
F343 E5FC)