[nmglug] Broadband Internet in LV

Brian Despain bdespain at xao.com
Tue Jun 14 15:17:12 PDT 2005

Lee Einer wrote:

> Hi, all-
>
> I currently live in Phoenix, Arizona, but plan on moving to Las Vegas,
> NM in the next month or so. I have been looking for broadband internet
> access up there, but am not finding anything terribly attractive. What
> do you all recommend for a Linux-friendly broadband (cable, DSL or
> Satellite) service provider up in that neck of the woods?

Wow - First post to the group. I moved to Las Vegas, NM from Pasadena,
CA and it depends where you live. I bought a house with some land
outside of town.so my only choice was satellite. I went with Starband.
Other than some minor installation hitches, it runs along smoothly and I
get nearly the same download speeds as I got with Champion Broadband in
Pasadena. Champion ran fiber to the pole so it was speedy. If you are
living in Las Vegas proper you have your choice between Comcast and the
local wireless provider Desertgate. Desertgate is helpful, friendly and
linux friendly. There wifi network covers the town and the immediate areas.

http://www.starband.com/
http://www.desertgate.com/
http://www.comcast.com/