[nmglug] kernel modules,

Karl Hegbloom karlheg at laclinux.com
Fri May 6 22:14:11 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 13:57 -0600, Andres Paglayan wrote:
> I need to compile a zaptel module driver for the 2.6.8 kernel,
> is there any suitable how-to document for compiling modules and loading
> them into the kernel?

What Linux distribution are you running?  I need this information in
order to determine which version of the instructions to give you.  The
general distribution independent instructions may suffice, depending on
your experience level...  Let us know if you need more specific
information for the distribution you run.

In general, you need the Linux kernel source code matching the kernel
you are running, unpacked and configured using the exact configuration
your running kernel was compiled with.  In /lib/modules/$(uname -r),
there should be two symlinks, "build", and "source", pointing into the
matching kernel source.  It is via those symlinks that the third party
module source code should be able to find the configured headers it
needs for compilation and installation.  Once all that is in place,
"make" and "make install" should work properly, provided the third party
module source is set up the way it is supposed to be.

Again, if you require assistance with learning how to get that all set
up, just ask here on the list.

Karl.