[nmglug] apache2

a_kaluta akaluta at zianet.com
Sun May 8 13:47:14 PDT 2005

Dear Glug;
A beginners question and not from lack of persuing other sources.
i.e.Apache.org, Debian org., other ranging searches.
("Apache -a definitive guide" O'reilly,pp38-39.)
The puzzle;
"It might be a good idea to get a firm idea of what,in Apache business, a
web site is: it is a directory somewhere on the server, say,
/usr/www/APACHE3/site.for_instance.It usually contains a least four
subdirectories........:"

"RUNNING APACHE FROM THE COMMAND LINE.
If the conf subdirectory is not in the default location (and it usually
isn't).you need a flag that tells Apache where it is.
i.e. httpd -d /usr/www/APACHE3/site.for_instance -f ..."

"You can't do much with Apache without a web site to play with. To embody
our first shaky steps,we need to create site.toddle as a subdirectory,
/usr/www/APACHE3/site.toddle..."

Do I conclude "/usr/www/APACHE3/site.toddle" is one of the possible multiple
copies of Apache that can exist on the Apache site?

"(pp.40) We can point httpd at our site with the -d flag
% httpd -d /usr/www/APACHE3/site.toddle"

Should I now be able to contact "/usr/www/APACHE3/site.toddle" by bringing
up a brower on the same computer on which Apache is installed and by typing
: "http://usr/www/APACHE3/site.toddle"?

Any thoughts towards solving this puzzle are welcome and as a new member I
must say nmglug is a delight.
Anthony