[nmglug] Re: [NMLUG] New Mexico Telehealth program

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Wed May 18 08:51:04 PDT 2005

It does nothing, but it might do a lot if abides to open source and open
standards.
Just imagine a NM health network communicating with GNU tools and
Asterisk in the phone side.

Excerpt from the membership solicitation notice.

On March 28, 2005, Governor Bill Richardson signed the New Mexico
Telehealth Commission Act bill, with the purpose of encouraging a
single, coordinated statewide effort to create a telehealth system. The
bill calls for the creation of a New Mexico Telehealth Commission that will:
a.Identify how telehealth can be used to increase access to care and
implement state comprehensive health plans;
b.Identify barriers to telehealth utilization and expansion, including
payment, infrastructure, training and workforce availability;
c.Inventory the state’s telehealth assets, map available
telecommunications infrastructure and examine the financial impact of
failing to develop the state’s telehealth capacities;
d.Coordinate public and private sector initiatives to enhance
networking, portal development and connectivity and to expand telehealth
and telecommunications capacity;
e.Identify specific actions to increase collaborative efforts and
public-private partnerships to increase the use of telehealth for health
care access development, patient outcome improvement, patient and
workforce education and health care practitioner recruitment and
development;
f.Develop and disseminate specific telehealth standards and guidelines
to ensure quality of care, positive health outcomes, appropriate use of
technology and protection of privacy and confidentiality;
g.Review and comment on initiatives, projects or grant applications to
ensure telehealth standards and guidelines are met and maximum
collaboration and cooperation across the state is encouraged; and
h.Report annually to the Governor and the Legislature on the state of
the telehealth system and the adequacy and allocation of telehealth
services throughout the state.

The Governor’s Office is seeking applications from interested health
care practitioners and direct service providers, telehealth technology
experts, business people, Native American and rural community
representatives and other knowledgeable in telehealth, for participation
on the New Mexico Telehealth Commission.