[nmglug] Linus and BT

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Thu May 26 09:11:55 PDT 2005

What do you guys think of this article... and others about BitKeeper and
Linux.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/26/bitkeeper_fiasco_is_setback_for_linux/

This line really stuck out to me...

Torvalds says he doesn't approve of what Tridgell was trying to do.

WHAT? This really bugs me. This is also what really bugs me about
Linus in general. It has been said that Linus makes snap and sometimes
poor decisions about stuff he does not understand completely or just
doesn't care about. Well , this is OK , happens to everyone. But..
not everyone is asked to make public remarks , and not everyone is the
poster boy of a movement that might cause M$ to stop being assholes.
Linus's remarks about Andrew Tridgell and the work he is doing are
sometimes ... stupid and contradicting to the "Linux Way".

Either way .... I prefer Linus having a big say... better him than
Stallman IMHO , but I just wish Linus could be .... less pigheaded and
vocal at times. I feel , sometimes , he makes Linux look like some kids
hobby OS.

jd