[nmglug] Re: nmglug Digest, Vol 20, Issue 19

Mik wa7bsz at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 13:15:52 PDT 2005

Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:11:55 -0600
From: Jason Davis <mohadib at openactive.org>
Subject: [nmglug] Linus and BT

What do you guys think of this article... and others about BitKeeper
and
Linux.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/26/bitkeeper_fiasco_is_setback_for_linux/

This line really stuck out to me...

Torvalds says he doesn't approve of what Tridgell was trying to do.

WHAT? This really bugs me. This is also what really bugs me about
Linus in general. It has been said that Linus makes snap and sometimes
poor decisions about stuff he does not understand completely or just
doesn't care about. Well , this is OK , happens to everyone. But..
not everyone is asked to make public remarks , and not everyone is the
poster boy of a movement that might cause M$ to stop being assholes.
Linus's remarks about Andrew Tridgell and the work he is doing are
sometimes ... stupid and contradicting to the "Linux Way".

Either way .... I prefer Linus having a big say... better him than
Stallman IMHO , but I just wish Linus could be .... less pigheaded and
vocal at times. I feel , sometimes , he makes Linux look like some kids
hobby OS.

jd

------------------------------

theregister.co.uk is not that supportive of Linux, and neither are
linuxbusinessnews or linuxinsider.  And probably others.  Anyone can
buy a linux URL and try to appear to be Linux friendly, and instead use
it to try to hold Linux at bay as long as possible.  For a lot of
people, it is their job that is threatened by Linux, and when something
that important is threatened, something will be done about it.
Whatever they can think of.  Perhaps illegal and/or violent.

So this Register guy is spinning the story, and this already happened
quite a while ago.  He needs to make it sound dramatic or nobody will
read it.

It is interesting that they say that the BK program found a back door
that some programmer was trying to put in.  Well, BK might put in a
back door and not find it.  Putting in a back door is quite common.
Many kernel hackers probably have the ability to do it.

I just thought Linus had mixed feelings about BK.  It is proprietary,
but it works so much faster than anything else, he just wanted to use
it.  It is like he can have a clean car that maxes out at 20 mph
(without BK), but (with BK) he can go 75 mph in a car that had 10
gallons of yogurt spilled all over the inside of it.  There is a
general disadvantage of the smell of it (like having to use proprietary
to develop open source), but if you roll down the window and stick your
head out while driving, you can still go 75, and its not too bad.