Backup - was [nmglug] Raid Help

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 17:00:22 PDT 2005

I've looked at amanda but from the top of my memory I thought it was tape
based which isn't what I'm after.

I've evalutated bacula http://www.bacula.org which looked pretty good.   I
didn't like that it needed an agent to use.  That would mean that I would
have to install software on a PC.

I like the concept of BackupPC http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ . The web
based pages makes it user friendly.  It uses a pull methodolgy instead of a
push in that the server polls the machine and peels off files from an
administrative type share on the individual PC.

I also like BackupPC's pooling feature.  Many files on a windows machine
might be identical from machine to machine.

Tim