[nmglug] Sony RootKit

Ken Long KenGLong at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 15:54:36 PST 2005

I've been checking into this and it seems that Sony is now
offering a tool to remove the rootkit and all software that was
installed after inserting a protected audio CD in a Windows PC.
You have to fill out a web-based form with your email info and
the reason you want to remove the software from your PC. I said
something to the effect that I no longer trust Sony Music and I
don't want their software on my PC for any reason.

This tool is only available online and uses Active X controls so
you need Internet Explorer to use it. I don't actually have the
software on my PC and the tool gave me an error message when I
tried to use it. I was hoping to download a utility that could
be run multiple times on different PCs but it seems they're
rather paranoid and want to maintain some measure of control
over the uninstall (my opinion.)

Ken Long
Albuquerque