[nmglug] Minimalistic Kernel

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Wed Oct 5 08:49:34 PDT 2005

Hi folks,

I have couple of questions, just because your answers are much better
than google's

I already know the basics of re-compiling a kernel, load the right
modules, and so on,
but my kernels look as a big 14MB monkey, is there any how-to, or
documentation to read (besides kernel code), on how to compile a
minimalistic kernel for your system? so it has all it needs to run but
nothing more.

The other,
I have little project involving a mini-itx via epia booting from a
compact flash card.
I am trying to minimize the read write cycles on the card.
for doing so I am enabling laptop-mode, doing logs in a ram disk (cp
them at boot and back at shutdown, still trying to figure this out), and
I'd like to adjust the commit interval in the ext3 from 5 seconds to
something higher, but: I don't know which file system will be
recommended for a CF card; I checked man tune2fs and I don't see an
explanation about how to do it.

Thank you,

Andres