[nmglug] raid1 kernel crash

js at jasonschaefer.com js at jasonschaefer.com
Fri Sep 30 12:39:08 PDT 2005

Hello

I am at my ends wit! I am trying to setup a software raid1 on my entire
system, including boot and root.

I keep getting a kernel panic

pivot_root: No such file for directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console no such file
kernel panic: attempted to kill init!

setup partitions on hdb to match hda, marked type fd (raid autodetect)

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --raid-devices=2 --level=1 missing /dev/hdb2,3,4
etc.

I then mkfs.ext3 /dev/md0,2,3 etc. and copied files from hda to
appropriate mda.

Modified grub: root (hd0,1) and root=/dev/md0 md=0,/dev/hda2,/dev/hdb2

changed /etc/fstab to be md instead of hd.

I have setup /etc/mkinitrd/modules with various modules I think I may
need (not too sure what exactly I need)

sis
sis5513
ide-core
ide-generic
ide-disk
md
raid1

I rebuilt initrd with mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.....

Let me know if you see any fault with my method.

-Jason