[nmglug] messed up permissions!

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sun Apr 9 13:21:40 PDT 2006

I've been trying to get help for my login problem. I posted to the Ubuntu
forums for Ubuntu/PPC at :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156714

I apparently filled up my disc and got an error that either my disk was full
or my /home permissions were wrong. I chown permissions to me, which is what
they were anyway but I thought that it couldn't hurt. It did. Turns out my
disk was full and after removing some files I can login as root from failsafe
terminal but not as me. I get errors that my .dmrc permissions are wrong and
I have changed them endlessly, finally copying in a backup version that was
not a problem-same error. Itried logging into KDE as me  and get an error
that there is no write access to my home directory-permissions again. I
checked permissions with my backup and they are, as far as I can tell,
correct.
If anyone can visit the link above, all of my travails are documented. Barring
a fix I will be at the next LUG meeting on 4/20 with my problem!
thanks in advance.
PS-I'd like to access my Evolution files but don't know where they reside in
my Linux partition. I especially need my calendar info so I can import it
into OS X (I run Fink provided X11, KDE as of now).
thanks again.