[nmglug] messed up permissions!

js at jasonschaefer.com js at jasonschaefer.com
Mon Apr 10 09:23:38 PDT 2006

Brian

The echo $UID does not work in tcsh, not sure why. Newer versions of OSX
switched to bash, which is much more popular. To find  your user id you
need to read the contents of /etc/passwd in OSX. You can do this with
grep, cat, less, vi, etc. (i.e., 'cat /etc/passwd'). Look for your user
and it will tell you  which uid you have. Its the first number after
your name. The second number is group ID.

Yes, you need to run chmod as root. You can't damage anything with this,
since you can always change it...

Jason