[nmglug] Re:lost xserver upon upgrade is OK now, no network tho!

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Thu Apr 27 21:29:49 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 15:47 -0600, Brian O'Keefe wrote:
> On Thursday 27 April 2006 1:04 pm, Sam Noble wrote:
> I tried and tried!!

Well, serendipity has shined on me 2 nights in a row!! Last night my
wife and I went to see if we could get tickets at the Lensic for Howard
Zinn. It was sold out but as we walked up to the door, there was a guy
holding 2 tickets. I asked him if he was selling them and he said "no,
I'm giving them away"! We took him up on his offer.
Today I took my limping powerbook to SFBC to see if I could log on there
but no luck. I thought, "I wonder if any NMGLUG members will be hanging
around", but I didn't spot any overt activity and I had no idea of who
looked like who. I overheard a couple guys talking Ubuntu and when they
were done I asked if they were members of the list. They said yes and I
introduced myself and they were Jason and Sam! Jason had to go but Sam
said he'd stay and fix me up. Well, almost 3 hours later, after
searching and hacking and not a small amount of frustration, it turned
out that:
My distro was all screwed up from my bad attempts at upgrading
I had ipmasq installed and it was blocking my connection from any router

Sam turned off the ipmasq package and did some clean up and here I am,
at home, on Dapper, sending this message! Little did I know that Sam was
leaving the state tomorrow morning!
Anyway, the good thing is that I'm all fixed up, I could not have ever
figured this out and I cannot imagine if we could have pulled it off
using the list but that's all done with.
The only question is how ipmasq got installed in the first place.
Thanks again everyone and good fortune Sam-I owe you big time!!