[nmglug] Re:lost xserver upon upgrade is OK now, no network tho!

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Sat Apr 29 09:26:35 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 22:29 -0600, Brian O'Keefe wrote:
> Well, almost 3 hours later, after searching and hacking and not a
> small amount of frustration,

Hey! No fair accounting for my geekerly whereabouts on publicly archived
mailing-lists!
/me delusionally imagines his wife cares enough to google him.	:P

> it turned out that:
> My distro was all screwed up from my bad attempts at upgrading
> I had ipmasq installed and it was blocking my connection from any
> router
>
> Sam turned off the ipmasq package and did some clean up and here I am,
> at home, on Dapper, sending this message! Little did I know that Sam
> was leaving the state tomorrow morning!
> Anyway, the good thing is that I'm all fixed up, I could not have ever
> figured this out and I cannot imagine if we could have pulled it off
> using the list but that's all done with.

If that's not an advertisement for Thursday night meetings, I don't know
what is.
Plus now that I'm gone Gary can come back. </duck>

> The only question is how ipmasq got installed in the first place.

Yeah and also what was wrong with it, as I'm pretty sure the intended
purpose of the package is not:

$ apt-cache show ipmasq |grep Description

> Thanks again everyone and good fortune Sam-I owe you big time!!

Donations to the Sam Noble Memorial Fund are being accepted at all local
branches of the Second Street Brewery. Or online at
http://www.nmglug.org/be-an-active-member.asp

P.S. Hi from Utah, the hospital here looks really nice!