[nmglug] Re:lost xserver upon upgrade is OK now, no network tho!

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Sat Apr 29 09:26:44 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 10:52 -0600, Brian O'Keefe wrote:
> Last night I was connected to the cybermesa DNS addresses according to
> my /etc/resov.conf file. I did an upgrade of packages last night when
> the update daemon showed up in the menu bar. Many packages installed
> that were updates Sam did only hours before, Evolution, etc.

This is normal, we were using only the packages that were on the LTS
Beta CD, which was released a week or two ago. As soon as you were
online, you had access to all the latest stuff, (which by the way means
there's no reason for you to download download todays Beta 2 iso, [at
least not for this machine]) I'm also glad to see that you're getting
online updates. I had this nagging feeling that I'd left you a SNAFU.scn
(TM) (-- Personally busticated by sam) Because I'd deleted all the
sources from your /etc/apt/sources.list file except the CD. But you must
have figured that out on your own and put back the original or possibly
one of those many:
# apt-get install --reinstall <package_sam_doesn't_really_understand>
rewrote it.

> So I did the upgades. I got a restart notification so I did and guess
> what? No internet upon rebooting. I futzed around with all of the
> command line stuff and all the settings were correct. I tried network
> tools and could ping cybermesa but not my router. I thought back to
> the D-Link manual where it said "be sure your computer is set to the
> D-Link address
> 192.168.0.1". I used the gnome-network-manager and chose my home
> account and then noticed that WiFiradar should no connection to home.
> I chose connect for home in WiFiradar and it connected to 192.168.0.1.
> I am on line.

So, for the record, as far as I can tell you never had a DNS problem.
And you're not using the Actiontec where using the router as a DNS
server doesn't work. So in essence all the discussion on list so far has
been off-topic and as far as you're concerned can be ignored.
So don't go resetting /etc/resolv.conf manually. (via a gui or
otherwise), don't add a prepend line in dhclient.conf, and for the most
part just tuck anything you've learned about DNS or local DNS repeaters
away for the day when you care to know about it, and let the network
scripts take care of it.

> My understanding of what makes sense here is zero. I seem to be in the
> "click on a bunch of stuff and hope for the best" mode.

I think this is because we were all chasing a red herring with DNS.

> BTW, /etc/resolv.conf now has (set by wifiradar):
> domain cybermesa.com
> nameserver 192.168.0.1

See it wouldn't have worked like this with an Actiontec, the key here is
that it _should_ work like this with the Qwest/Actiontec but it doesn't
because of a bug in that piece of equipment. And it _does_ work with
your D-link. Anyway like I said, just ignore it and move on.

> Anyway, thanks again and I hope to see everyone at the next NMGLUG
> meeting. Good luck Sam!

Thanks.