[nmglug] disaster!

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sun Aug 13 23:05:32 PDT 2006

This is really weird. I was doing some DVD authoring in Ubuntu  using
transcode and kde DVD author wizard. My usb drive that I use for such
things for storage capacity started doing strange things like not
having enough storage for a dvd. It's 15GB of free space so that is
weird. I noticed that some items in trash were now in directories on
the usb partition named .Trashbrianokeefe and .Trash1000. I had not
seen these before. I emptied them to free up space. then the name of
the partition changed by itself from "For_Linux" to "sda9" but only in
a file manager. Still same name on the mounted volume on desktop.
I continued to work on dvd's and I noticed that each time I switched
windows in my file manager the info at the bottom showed less space
available. First 4GB then 2 and 1 and I got low disk space warnings. I
quickly copied some files to the usb drive and shut down and tried to
restart but of course I now have no disk space on the Ubuntu partition.
I'm writing this from the OS X partition-nice and stable over here! I'm
checking the mounted Ubuntu partition to see what is abnormally full.
Again, i started the day with 5GB of free space! I have no more DVD's
on the Ubuntu partition unless they are hiding somewhere.
Any ideas of what would eat my disk? Also, a backup of my home
directory on the usb drive morphed into an unopenable, no content
generic gnome icon as did the only dvd I had on the drive.
Help!
Thanks
PS-when's the next meet up?