[nmglug] usb drive

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Wed Aug 16 08:55:54 PDT 2006

BrianO'Keefe wrote:

> Thanks Jeff, I understand. The /media/For_Linux is a separate drive not a
> separate partition on my Linux drive, which shares my hard disk with a Mac
> partition. The problem I'm having is specific to the usb drive partition
> For_Linux. I appreciate the help!

Oh, sorry, guess I was confused too about what was where then, never
mind about hfs+...

One last shot in the dark: I've seen unexpected disk usage messages
when the filesystem below the mountpoint is itself used or full.  That
is, if you unmount /dev/sdb9, do you still have stuff under
/media/For_Linux?  Not sure this would account for your particular
problem, this situation usually shows up the other way around: the
root partition appears to be full or more heavily used than a du would
indicate, because there appears to be lots of free space in the
mounted directory tree.  Mount points (like /media/For_Linux) should
be empty directories, but sometimes get written to when the device
isn't mounted yet.

Just to make things clearer, it might help to post the full output to
the following:
mount
df -h
parted /dev/sda print