[nmglug] mplayer alsa

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri Dec 15 16:45:27 PST 2006

BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> Sam Noble wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 15:04 -0700, BrianO'Keefe wrote:
>>

>>> I had done my own install and that wasn't working as I
>>> couldn't get the gui to work even tho I compiled it with the gui. I
>>> installed it with my package manager, synaptic. I guess I could
>>> uninstall with synaptic and reinstall from source. Advice?
>>>

>> That means that maybe:

>> is not calling the same mplayer you're normally running.
>>
>> $which mplayer
>>
>> would tell us something.
>>

> Here's the output:
> /usr/local/bin/mplayer
> I checked synaptic and that mplayer version is installed in /usr/bin and
> it will not run at all!
>
>>  /usr/bin/gmplayer
>> MPlayer 2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu8 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
>> AltiVec found
>> CPU: PowerPC
>>

>> 91 audio & 204 video codecs
>> Failed to open /dev/rtc: No such file or directory (it should be
>> readable by the user.)
>> Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
>> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
>> Can't init input joystick
>> Setting up LIRC support...
>> mplayer: could not connect to socket
>> mplayer: No such file or directory
>> Failed to open LIRC support.
>> You will not be able to use your remote control.
>> [skin] file ( /usr/share/mplayer/Skin/Blue/skin ) not found.
>> Selected skin ( Blue ) not found, trying 'default'...
>> [skin] file ( /usr/share/mplayer/Skin/default/skin ) not found.
>> Skin not found (default).

Well, I copied the skin into the requested location and I can play a
file but no video with '/usr/bin/mplayer'. I guess the mplayer that is
working is the one I compiled and installed in the non-ordinary
directory, /usr/local/bin/mplayer.  I could go further and try to figure
out what's up as I have files in both /usr/local/share and /usr/share.
For me kind of a mess! The mplayer that I pick from the apps menu works
so maybe I'll leave well enough alone!