[nmglug] mplayer alsa

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Sat Dec 16 12:56:07 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 19:11 -0700, BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> > Hmmm... no sound again and same terminal output! I didn't change
> > anything-honest. I did put the videos that I was testing on a remote
> > drive but that shouldn't make a difference.

> Sorry about this! I rebooted and sound is back. I guess it's just
> flaky!

If it stops working again, run:

$pgrep -l esd

And that will let you know if the sound daemon has gotten started up
again somehow. This used to be a big annoyance, as there were some
benefits to using a sound daemon like ESD or Arts but they also would
get in the way of anything that didn't know how to use (and also caused
a small performance degradation, that was problematic for folks doing
fancy sound stuff.)
Seems the last year or two I've not had to futz with it and the distros
have taken care of me just fine, letting multiple sound streams play
simultaneously and stuff like that. I haven't looked into if it's the
"Y" systems yiff sound server that got installed at some point, or if
it's PulseAudio that get's discussed online sometimes as "the future for
linux sound" (or potentially they may be the same thing, as I said I
haven't looked into it.) But whatever the situation, I _never_ need ESD
anymore.