[nmglug] Video Server

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Wed Jan 11 16:56:49 PST 2006

Tim Emerick wrote:
> I was reading my latest Linux Journal and there was an article about a video
> server that I found interesting but not suitable for my application.
>
> I have about a dozen TCP/IP video cameras that I would like to hook up to a
> video server/recorder for surveillance.  Any experience with linux software
> to record & archive multiple video (and potentially audio) feeds from these
> cameras?
>
> fyi, these cameras are IndigoVision (http://www.indigivision.com) Digital IP
> Cameras  IPC-9313N/IV

Yes. I have been using Motion with a few cameras in my office. The capabilities are awesome.

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

You should be sure you understand the legal ramifications about recording audio before you do it. In many cases it is
prohibited by federal law.

Mars

~# apt-cache show motion
Package: motion
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 3636
Maintainer: Frederik Dannemare <frederik at dannemare.net>
Architecture: i386
Version: 3.2.3-1
Depends: liba52-0.7.4, libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libdc1394-13, libgsm1 (>= 1.0.10), libjpeg62, libmysqlclient15, libogg0 (>=
1.1.2), libpq4, libraw1394-5, libtheora0, libvorbis0a (>= 1.1.0), libvorbisenc2 (>= 1.1.0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), debconf
| debconf-2.0
Recommends: ffmpeg
Suggests: mysql-client, postgresql-client
Filename: pool/main/m/motion/motion_3.2.3-1_i386.deb
Size: 1465604
MD5sum: ac70d8474b97632097b5a266c8f1daf0
  Motion is a program that monitors the video signal from
  one or more cameras and is able to detect if a significant
  part of the picture has changed. Or in other words, it can
  detect motion.
  .
  Motion is a command line based tool. It has no graphical
  user interface. Everything is setup either via the
  command line or via configuration files.
  .
  The output from motion can be:
     - jpg files
     - ppm format files
     - mpeg video sequences
  .
  Also, motion has its own minimalistic web server. Thus,
  you can access the webcam output from motion via a browser.
Tag: hardware::camera, interface::commandline, role::sw:utility, use::monitor, works-with::image, works-with::video

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1300 Luisa St Ste 23
Santa Fe NM 87505
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com